A mastectomy is the operation in which both breasts are removed to remove a tumor or cancer, and many breast cancer patients have had a successful mastectomy in Turkey.
Mastectomy is one of the preventive or curative methods of disease malignant breast cancerAlternative options for this operation include removing only the cancerous lump while preserving as much healthy breast tissue as possible.
It can be difficult to choose between removing the entire breast or preserving it, especially since both options are effective in treating breast cancer and preventing it from recurring.
Although conservative treatment may look better from a cosmetic point of view, it is not suitable for all women.
Modern techniques for mastectomy seek to preserve the appearance of the breast after the operation. The process in which the natural breast appearance is restored is called “breast reconstruction” and can be performed during the mastectomy surgery or at a later time.
The success rate of breast cancer surgery for cancer treatment is high, as more than 80% of women who underwent mastectomy after cancer were able to live for ten years after the operation, as explained Studies foreign.
Reasons for mastectomy
A mastectomy can be performed to treat cancer in women with breast cancer in Turkey in the following cases:
- When the patient cannot be treated conservatively with lumpectomy without removing the entire breast; For example, if breast cancer is large or occupies the center or more than one area of the breast.
- when failed Radiotherapy or thermal processing In the treatment of cancer or the inability to use it because the patient has a connective tissue disease such as scleroderma or lupus.
- When the patient prefers a complete mastectomy rather than a benign breast tumor only, so as not to develop breast cancer; Especially when she has one of the genes associated with breast cancer such as BRCA1 or BRCA2.
- In patients with a high risk of breast cancer recurring, who may choose to have a double prophylactic mastectomy (removal of both breasts).
- Cases of inflammatory breast cancer or Paget's disease.
Methods of performing a mastectomy in Turkey
There are several types of mastectomy surgery in Turkey that depend mainly on the size and location of the cancer, including:
total (simple) mastectomy
In which the breast is completely removed, including the nipple, the areola around it, the fascia surrounding the pectoralis major muscle and most of the skin covering the breast, some axillary lymph nodes may also be removed depending on the result of the sentinel node biopsy, the majority of women after total excision return to their homes the day after the mastectomy .
Similar to simple excision but combined with axillary lymphadenectomy (axillary lymphadenectomy).
This operation for the treatment of breast cancer cases has become rare these days because it is too extensive. It involves excision of the entire breast with the axillary lymph nodes and the pectoralis major muscle under the breast.
It was commonly used until an alternative was discovered with the same effectiveness and results, but it is less extensive and has fewer side effects, which is the “modified radical mastectomy.”
Breast cancer is removed as in simple excision with the nipple and areola, but most of the skin covering the breast remains without excision, and this type has been found to be effective in removing cancer from the chest, such as excision, and it is resorted to when the doctor wants to restore the breast immediately after excision.
The vast majority of women prefer to do this procedure because it has better cosmetic results with a smaller scar and breasts that look more natural. In general, this procedure cannot be done to treat breast cancer in cases that are large or close to the skin.
Similar to the previous type and sometimes called mastectomy with the preservation of the entire skin, where the entire breast tissue is removed only while keeping the nipple and areola, and this process is followed by reconstruction of the breast as well.
The surgeon removes the breast tissue located directly under the nipple and areola and sends it to histopathology to ensure that it is free of cancer cells, otherwise the nipple and areola must be removed.
Breast reconstruction after mastectomy in Turkey
Many breast cancer patients are concerned about the appearance of the breast after removing the tumor. Fortunately, in most cases, breast reconstruction can be done after excision in Turkey in order to restore the patient's natural breast size and shape.
Many women prefer to have this procedure together with a mastectomy, while some choose to have it done at a later time. You can talk to your doctor about the options for breast reconstruction and when.
However, not all patients who have a mastectomy undergo breast reconstruction. Alternative options include wearing some breast-shaped prostheses or special bras, or the patient may choose to live with flat breasts for the rest of her life.
How is mastectomy performed in Turkey?
Breast cancer resection is performed under general anesthesia, so the patient will be asleep and will not feel anything during the mastectomy.
At first, the surgeon makes a crescent incision around the breast from below, but the location and shape of the incision may vary according to the type of operation. Then, he will remove the breast tissue and other parts that differ from one patient to another, and they will be sent to histopathology.
If the patient decides to undergo breast reconstruction at the same time, a specialist in reconstructive surgery will continue the procedure and restore the breast in the manner chosen by the patient.
Finally, the surgeon will place drainage tubes at the surgical site to drain fluid that may collect in the area, and then close the incision with sutures or adhesive strips.
Complications of mastectomy
Surgery to remove the breast affected with cancer may carry some risks, like other surgeries, such as bleeding or infection at the site of the operation. As for the complications of mastectomy, it depends on the type of operation that was performed (complex surgeries carry greater side effects), and may include the following:
- Pain, tenderness, or swelling at the site of the operation
- A hematoma or a clear fluid buildup at the wound site
- Defined in arm or shoulder movement
- Numbness in the chest or upper extremity
- Swelling of the consenting limb of the excised breast when draining the axillary lymph nodes (lymphedema)
- Nerve pain described as burning or gunshot-like pain in the chest wall, armpit, or arm that does not go away with time (post-mastectomy pain syndrome)
Although the removal of the entire breast is considered an effective and successful treatment in breast cancer treatment except if Studies It has been shown that it is not superior to lumpectomy alone followed by radiotherapy in improving the survival rate of breast cancer patients in the early stages.
After mastectomy, the patient is transferred to a hospital room to be closely monitored for a day or two. The doctor will decide whether the woman needs to continue treatment after the mastectomy.rays or bchemical treatment complement to eliminate remaining cancer cells.
Learn more about Cancer diagnosis and treatment methods in Turkey.
Most women who have undergone mastectomy are able to return to their normal daily activities within about four weeks, but it may require more than that if the patient has to rebuild or restore the breast after removing it, and it may take up to several months in some cases.
Tips after mastectomy:
- Take a break for a few weeks after your mastectomy.
- Make sure you take your medications as prescribed by your doctor. You can take oral pain relievers if you feel pain after a mastectomy.
- You have to keep the place of operation dry, you can take a sponge bath instead of a shower, for example.
- Get regular exercise as it helps with recovery and restore normal movement of the shoulder and arm and prevents stiffness.
- Avoid doing strenuous activities such as lifting heavy objects until your doctor allows you to.
- Don't hesitate to seek help when needed and contact your doctor immediately if you feel unwell.
Why should I choose treatment in Turkey?Recently, Turkey has become one of the leading countries in the field of medical tourism in the world.
The reason for this is due to the presence of advanced medical centers that provide appropriate treatment by the most skilled doctors and the latest medical devices at a low cost.
Regarding what has been said, the medical center of Bimaristan Medical Center remains your first choice the best treatment in Turkey.
We guide you to the best expert specialists in all fields.
We facilitate the language of communication between you and everyone through specialized Arab doctors who will help you communicate with your doctor.
We help you secure the right treatment and high-end service in the most modern hospitals and medical centers in Turkey.
We provide our services extensively and precisely.
We will be with you step by step towards recovery.
Free consultations around the clock.
don't hesitate tous,Bimaristan center is your family in Turkey.