Roux-En-Y gastric bypass surgery or gastric bypass surgery is one of the most common types of obesity or weight loss surgery, and this operation has developed significantly in Turkey recently.
What is Roux-En-Y gastric bypass?
Roux-En-Y gastric anastomosis (Gastric Bypass Roux En Y Surgery) or gastric bypass surgery is a type of bariatric surgery or weight loss.
Gastric bypass surgery is a method of Roux-En-Y The gold standard for weight loss surgery. As it is the most important and most famous operations that are performed to lose weight and treat diabetes all over the world.
During gastrostomy surgery, your doctor makes changes to your stomach and small intestine to change the way food is absorbed and digested.
After the operation, the stomach will have become smaller, and the small intestine will be shortened, all of which helps to reduce food intake and reduce its absorption, which helps in solving the problem of the age, which is obesity.
And this process not only helps to get rid of excess weight in the body, it helps to stop or postpone the emergence of metabolic syndromes accompanying obesity or resulting from it, such as heart disease, diabetes and joint diseases.
Gastric bypass surgery (gastric anastomosis) helps to lose weight by:
- Restrict the amount of food the stomach holds.
- Reducing the amount of food the patient can eat.
- Reducing the amount of calories and nutrients the body absorbs.
- Changing gut hormones also contributes to feeling full for a longer time.
Who are the candidates for gastric bypass surgery Ro NY?
Your doctor may recommend gastric bypass surgery in several cases, including:
- If you have a BMI over 40.
- If your BMI is between 35 and 40 but you have an obesity-related metabolic syndrome.
- You have type 2 diabetes caused by obesity.
- If obesity affects your daily life and your relationships with those around you.
- Exercise and diet do not give you promising results in the long term.
Preparations before gastric bypass surgery
The patient should try to reduce his weight as much as possible before the gastric bypass operation. The lighter the weight before the operation, the better results were given by the operation and the speed of recovery from the operation was faster. Also, losing weight makes your liver smaller, which facilitates the operation for the doctor.
The patient must sit with his nutritionist a month before the operation to determine the appropriate diet before and after the operation and to make the necessary changes in daily habits. If the patient is an alcoholic or a smoker, the doctor advises to completely stop drinking or smoking, because of their negative effects on health in general, and on the success of the Roux-on-Way operation in particular.
provides you Bimaristan center The best medical, surgical, health and nutritional staff, and the center walks with you step by step to overcome the problem of obesity once and for all with the help of the best hands with long experience in the field of obesity treatment and its problems.
The doctor may also ask the patient to perform several tests before the operation to ensure that the patient is ready. These tests may include some blood tests and an x-ray of the chest and abdomen, in addition to evaluating the condition of the heart and digestive system.
The patient is asked to stop any analgesic or anticoagulant medication before the operation, and he should not eat anything 12 hours before the operation.
Gastric bypass surgery steps and types
The gastric bypass operation can be performed in several ways and surgical maneuvers, the traditional open surgery was the prevalent 30 years ago, but with the development of laparoscopic surgery and its application in wider fields in Turkey, the laparoscopic gastric bypass operation appeared, and due to the fact that the operation using laparoscopic has fewer complications With smaller incisions, shorter recovery time and higher success rate, doctors have turned to this method more and more.
This operation can also be performed using a robot, but it often gives the same results and is more expensive.
Laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery
Initially, the doctor makes four or five small incisions that do not exceed an inch, and inserts surgical tools through these incisions.
Then the doctor creates a small stomach pouch - about the size of an egg - by separating the upper part of the stomach from the rest of the stomach, while keeping the lower part of the stomach connected to the small intestine (duodenum).
Then the doctor cuts the small intestine, and the Roux (the first distal lower part of the resected intestine) is lifted from the resected small intestine and connected to the newly created small pouch of the stomach.
Did you know that the name Roux is derived from the name of the doctor Cesar Roux Who performed this type of operation for the first time, a name that refers to the part of the small intestine called the fasting person.
Next, the second, upper proximal part of the small intestine (the section into which the juices of the liver and pancreas drain) is divided into the small intestine from the side; Where stomach acids and food from the stomach and the first part of the small intestine mix with digestive juices from the second section of the small intestine at the end of the intestine.
Features and advantages of metabolic surgery (gastric anastomosis) in Turkey
The advantages of gastric bypass surgery (diabetes surgery 2) include:
- Noticeable weight loss and very good results in the short term (60 to 80 percent of excess weight).
- Permanent and long-term results (data indicate that results last up to ten years after surgery, with most patients maintaining more than 50 percent of their excess weight loss).
- An excellent solution for health problems related to obesity, as it is the ideal solution for metabolic disease problems such as high sugar, pressure, arteriosclerosis and high cholesterol, and it is considered the ideal treatment for metabolic syndrome.
- In addition to treating problems related to sleep apnea.
indicate another studies to the long-term efficacy of gastric bypass surgery in elderly high-risk patients, thereby improving their overall health while increasing survival rates by 30-40%, primarily by reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer.
Disadvantages of Metabolic Surgery (Disadvantages of Gastric Bypass)
- Higher risk of deficiency of some vitamins and minerals compared to normal patients; All patients need to take vitamins and nutritional supplements for life after surgery. If they do not, this can lead to long-term vitamin/mineral deficiencies, particularly deficiencies in vitamin B12, iron, calcium and folic acid.
- high risk of gallstones; Increased risk of developing ulcers when taking NSAIDs or smoking so patients are not allowed to take aspirin or other NSAIDs after surgery.
- Intestinal obstruction.
- Increased risk of suicide.
- Dumping syndrome (low blood sugar) due to the increased speed of food entering the intestine without digestion after gastric bypass.
- The long-term complication rate is slightly higher than that of sleeve gastrectomy.
However, complications can be avoided with proper care.
It should be remembered that bypass surgery is a surgical procedure that helps you lose weight.
At Bimaristan Center we provide you with the best centers that perform the Roux-En-Y technique of laparoscopic gastric anastomosis surgery, which means a shorter hospital stay, recovery time, less pain and scarring for the patient.
My experience with gastric bypass
I've had several obesity conditions (more than one disorder at the same time) that I've struggled with my whole life, I've tried all diets but never felt successful. After the research, I found someone talking about the gastric bypass operation and its encouraging results, so I decided to consult the doctors about this operation and if I was suitable for it.
After I heard good news and the doctor told me that the operation would benefit me greatly, God willing, I decided to do it. I felt like I took the right step for bariatric surgery. The staff provided guidance and support throughout the surgery process.
What can I expect after laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery?
In the first month, you will only be able to eat small amounts of soft foods and liquids, but gradually, you will be able to add some solid foods to your diet.
You'll feel full very quickly after eating about two tablespoons of food, and your doctor may also recommend a supplement.
During the first two years, you can expect to lose half to two thirds of your excess weight.
The weight loss will, in most cases, continue for a year and a half before stabilizing.
where showed studies The effectiveness of gastric bypass surgery in Turkey in weight loss is better than Sleeve Gastrectomy or Gastric Balloon In the short and long term.