Lymphoma is one of the most common cancers in the world, and it is the most common blood cancerIt has two main types, including Hodgkin lymphoma.
Cancer treatment and diagnosis methods have developed in Turkey to become a destination for many cancer patients around the world.
Cancer is the proliferation of defective, deformed cells at the expense of healthy cells, and it has serious consequences if treatment is neglected.
What is lymphoma?
Cancerous lymphocytes can travel through the blood and lymph system and spread and grow in many parts of the body, including the lymph nodes, spleen, bone marrow and many other organs.
Hodgkin's lymphoma (it was called Hodgkin's disease): It includes certain cell types characteristic of this disease (we will mention them later).
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma: These are all tumors that do not fall under the classification of Hodgkin lymphoma.
Overview of the lymphatic system and lymphocytes
The lymphatic system consists of the lymph, lymph vessels, lymph nodes, bone marrow, spleen, thymus gland, and amygdala.
The centrocytes then differentiate into either plasma cells or memory cells, and the latter circulates in the blood, where part of it remains, or settles in the spleen or in the mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue known as MALT.
What is the difference between Hodgkin's lymphoma and non-Hodgkin's?
There is a difference in the development and spread of the disease between the two types, as we do not see Hodgkin's lymphoma outside the lymph nodes except in rare cases, unlike non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, which is often seen outside the lymph nodes.
Causes and risk factors
age and gender
A family history of a previous injury
weakened immune system
Symptoms and signs
- Painless swelling of the cervical, mediastinal, and inguinal lymph node or site of injury.
- Fever of unknown cause.
- Profuse night sweats.
- Unexplained weight loss.
- itchy skin;
- Feeling very tired most of the time.
- Pain in the lymph nodes after drinking alcohol.
- Cough and other respiratory symptoms.
Types of Hodgkin's Lymphoma
Classical Hodgkin's lymphoma
Nodular Sclerosis Hodgkin's Lymphoma
Mixed Cellularity Hodgkin's Lymphoma
Lymphocytes-Rich Hodgkin's Lymphoma
Lymphocytes-Depleted Hodgkin's Lymphoma
Nodular lymphocyte predominant lymphoma
Detection of lymphoma in Turkey
- Pathological history and clinical examination: The symptoms seen in Hodgkin's lymphoma are looked for, and the most common are swollen lymph nodes.
- complete blood count Complete Blood Count (CBC .) The white cell formula.
- Several blood tests: LDH, ESR, HIV antibody titer, HCV and HBV antibody titer.
- Various shooting methods: CT scan, simple chest x-ray, positron emission tomography (PET) scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
- Lymph node biopsy: It is used to confirm the diagnosis as the lymph node can swell for several reasons (such as infections), and a biopsy can also determine the type of Hodgkin's lymphoma present in the patient.
- Bone marrow aspirate or biopsy: They are not used in diagnosing the disease, but in post-diagnosis tests to find out whether the disease has spread to the bone marrow or not and how bad the condition is.
Hodgkin's Lymphoma Staging تقييم
It most commonly spreads to the liver, bone marrow, and lungs.
Hodgkin lymphoma treatment in Turkey
Inhibitory therapy for PD1 and PD-L1
Antibody-Drug Conjugate (ADC
This treatment uses monoclonal antibodies loaded with doses of radiation to kill tumor cells.
Stem cell transplant (bone marrow transplant)
Hodgkin's Lymphoma Awareness Month
Why should I choose treatment in Turkey?
Recently, Turkey has become one of the leading countries in the field of medical tourism in the world, due to the provision of appropriate treatment with advanced centers and at a low cost.
Frequently asked questions about Hodgkin lymphoma in Turkey
What is the difference between Hodgkin lymphoma and non-Hodgkin lymphoma?
The main difference is the type of cells and the spread of cancer outside the lymphatic system. In Hodgkin's lymphoma, we see Reed-Sternberg cells and Hodgkin's tumor cells, and the disease is often limited to the lymphatic system.
Unlike non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, which is often diagnosed outside the lymphatic system and does not contain precancerous cells.
What is Brentuximab vedotin?
It is a monoclonal antibody loaded with a chemical drug (Antibody-Drug Conjugate (ADC) and is a quantum leap in the treatment of lymphoma, especially Hodgkin's lymphoma, as it targets surface proteins on the surface of tumor cells and releases the chemical drug to kill them.
Is lymphoma dangerous?
Any cancer poses a threat to the patient's life if treatment is neglected. But Hodgkin lymphoma has a high cure rate, especially in Turkey, after the development of diagnostic and treatment methods significantly in its hospitals.