Turkey is considered a global medical center for the treatment of brain tumors, which is supervised by highly qualified doctors and specialists, given its seriousness and health complications. In this article, we will learn about the most important methods of treating brain tumors in Turkey.
What are brain tumors?
Brain tumors (brain tumor) are a mass or growth of abnormal (abnormal) cells in the brain.
There are different types of brain tumors:
- Non-malignant brain tumors (benign tumors): The tumor does not contain cancer cells, and once removed they very rarely grow back.
- Cancerous brain tumors (malignant tumors): They grow very quickly and attack surrounding tissues and can be life-threatening.
The growth rate of brain tumors varies widely. The rate of growth as well as the location and size of a brain tumor determine how much it affects the function of your nervous system.
What are the symptoms of brain tumors? brain tumor symptoms
There are various symptoms that indicate the possibility of a brain tumor. It may include the following:
- Gradual and frequent symptoms such as headaches.
- Unexplained symptoms such as vomiting or nausea.
- Sensory symptoms such as hearing and vision problems (blurred vision, double vision, or loss of peripheral vision).
- Movement symptoms, such as gradual loss of sensation or movement in an arm or leg, or loss of balance.
- Psychological symptoms, such as changes in personality or behavior, feeling restless and disoriented in daily life.
How are brain tumors diagnosed?
If you have symptoms and suspect you have a brain tumor, your doctor may recommend a number of tests and procedures, including:
- Neurological examination.This may include testing for vision, hearing, balance, coordination, and reflexes, among other tests. The presence of problems in one of these areas are indicators of the area in the brain affected by the tumor.
- Imaging tests. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) helps detect a brain tumor.
- Tests to detect the presence of tumors or cancer in other areas of the body. may be The doctor recommends tests and operations to locate the tumor. For example, using a computerized tomography (CT) scan or a positron emission tomography (PET) scan to detect signs of lung cancer.
- Collecting and examining a sample of abnormal tissue from the tumor (biopsy).
What are the stages of growth of brain tumors? (brain cancer grades)
- The first stage Benign brain tumor.
- The second phase Malignant brain tumor.
- third level A malignant brain tumor with tissue that looks very abnormal and is actively growing (cryogenic).
- The fourth stage (Final stage) Malignant tissue contains tissue that looks abnormal and tends to grow rapidly.
brain tumors treatment
Suggested treatment options for aBrain tumor is Three types of treatments: brain surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy.
The choice of an effective treatment depends on:
- Brain tumor type, grade, location, and size
- The patient's age and general health
Your doctor can describe the expected results and possible side effects of brain tumor treatment. Because they often damage healthy tissue, before starting treatment for brain tumors, you can ask your doctor about possible side effects after treatment and how they might alter your normal activities. This will help him or her develop a treatment plan that meets your medical and personal needs.
Doctors who specialize in treating brain tumors include: neurologists, neurosurgeons, neuro-oncologists, brain tumor radiologists, and neuroradiologists. Treatment may also include an oncology nurse, a dietitian, a mental health counselor, a social worker, a physical therapist, an occupational therapist, a speech therapist, and a physical medicine specialist.
Surgical treatment of brain tumors
Surgery is the usual first suggestion for treating most brain tumors. Surgery for tumors of the brain by opening the skull is called a craniotomy. The surgeon makes an incision in the location of the tumor in the head. And it is possible that The doctor removes part or all of the brain tumor while you are awake . You may be asked to move a leg, count, say the alphabet, or tell a story. Your ability to follow these commands helps your doctor protect important parts of your brain.
Sometimes surgical treatment of brain tumors is not possible. If the brain tumor is in the brainstem or certain other areas of the brain, the surgeon may not be able to remove it without harming normal brain tissue.
Sometimes, the treatment is a needle biopsy. In this procedure, the doctor uses a special halo-like head frame, which scans with a CT scan or MRI to determine the exact location of the tumor. Then he makes a small hole in the skull and then guides a needle into the tumor. The use of this technique in treatment is called a biopsy or stereotaxic therapy.
There are other advanced treatment techniques used during the resection of brain tumors, which are based on brain mapping, endoscopy near the tumors to perform biopsies, open spinal fluid pathways through a small scale and computer-assisted stereotactic resection of tumors.
The time it takes to recover after treatment and removal of tumors varies according to the health condition and immune system of each person. The patient is likely to feel tired, weak, or have a headache for the first few days after treatment of the tumor.
Removing the tumor from the brain may damage normal tissue. This may cause problems with thinking, seeing or speaking. It can also cause personality changes. Most of these problems reduce or disappear over time. But sometimes the damage done by removing the tumor from the brain is permanent. The patient may need physical therapy, speech therapy, or occupational therapy.
Radiation therapy for brain tumors
Radiation for brain tumors kills brain tumor cells with high-energy X-rays, gamma rays or protons. Sometimes patients who cannot tolerate medical surgery to excise the tumors undergo radiotherapy instead.
Specialists use external and internal types of it to treat brain tumors:
treatment by radiation External brain:
A large machine outside the body directs beams of radiation either to the entire brain or to specific parts of the brain. Some people need radiation directed at the spinal cord, too. Fractionated external beam radiation, given in small doses or fractions of radiation once daily, is the most common method in patients with brain tumors.
Treating brain tumors with a full dose of radiation over a period of weeks helps protect healthy areas of the brain. A typical visit takes less than an hour, and each treatment takes just a few minutes.
Some medical centers are studying other ways to treat brain tumors with external beams:
- Treatment of tumors with modulated intensity radiology or 3D: It uses computers to target tumors more closely to minimize damage to healthy tissue.
- Treatment of tumors with proton beam radiation: The source of the radiation is protons, not X-rays. The doctor directs the proton beam toward the tumor. So that the dose is given to the normal area of the proton beam less than the dose of the X-ray beam.
- Stereotactic radiation therapy for tumors: Narrow beams of X-rays or gamma rays are directed at the tumor from different angles. In this procedure, you wear a rigid head frame. It can be given during one visit or over several visits.
treatment by internal radiation (Radiation therapy with implants or brachytherapy):
This type of treatment is not commonly used in brain tumors and is under study. The rays come from a radioactive substance contained in very small implants called seeds. The seeds are placed inside the brain and emit radiation towards the tumor, in which the radiation spreads for several months.
Some people have no or few side effects after brain tumor treatment. In rare cases, the patient may develop nausea and feel very tired after each radiation treatment directed at the tumor. Rest is important, but the medical team often advises their patients to try to stay as active as possible.
Also, external beam treatment of brain tumors usually causes hair loss from the treated part. Hair grows back in a few months. The skin of the scalp and ears may become red, dry, and painful. A doctor can suggest ways to relieve and treat these symptoms.
Sometimes the treatment of brain cancer with radiation causes the tissues in the tumor to swell, and it may sometimes lead to the killing of healthy brain tissue. You may get a headache or feel pressured. It can be reduced by taking medication.
Radiation oncology can damage the pituitary gland and other areas of the brain. For children, this damage can cause difficulty learning or slow growth and development. In addition, they increase the risk of developing secondary tumors later in life.
Chemotherapy for brain tumors
Doctors usually treat some brain tumors with medications to kill cancer cells. Medicines can be given in the following ways:
- Oral or intravenous (intravenous) therapy: Chemotherapy can be given during and after radiotherapy. The drugs enter the bloodstream and travel throughout the body. They can be given on a hospital outpatient basis, in a doctor's office, or at home. You rarely need to stay in the hospital. The side effects of chemotherapy depend mainly on the drugs taken and how much. Common side effects include vomiting, loss of appetite, headache, fever, chills, and weakness. Reducing some of these side effects is by taking medication.
- Treatment by chips that are placed in the brain: For some adults with high-grade gliomas, multiple chips are implanted into the brain. Each chip is approximately a dime in size. Over several weeks, the chips dissolve, releasing the drug into the brain.
Brain tumor treatment in Turkey
Turkey annually attracts thousands of patients around the world, especially from the Middle East and North Africa, Central Asia and Europe, due to the hospitals’ reliance on the latest medical technologies and the desirability of the treatment cost in them, and it is considered a regional medical center for medical tourism and treatment of incurable cases, including tumors. And brain cancer and other incurable diseases.
Bimaristan Medical Center your first choice the best treatment in TurkeyWe direct you to the best expert specialists in all fields, we help you to communicate with your doctor, and book an appointment with the most important and latest Treatment centers in Turkey We offer our services to secure a hotel reservation for you and your companions in addition to transportation for transportation. We help you secure a travel visa for you for free. We accompany you 24 hours a day, step by step towards recovery.
So if you want to take a consultation about your health condition and the possibility of treating it and request the price of the service, you can send your medical reports and describe the case to the doctors of Bimaristan from here.