There is no doubt that drug addiction is one of the most dangerous and most prevalent diseases of the current era, especially among young people. Currently, special centers have been found in Turkey for the management and treatment of drug addiction.
What is addiction?
This action may include the use of tangible substances such as smoking, drugs and alcohol.
Or another behavioral act that does not involve tangible substances, such as addiction to gambling or sex.
In other medical terms, addiction is defined as a chronic, treatable functional disorder in the reward system or incentives in the brain, so the sufferer’s brain becomes dependent on a specific act in order to obtain the desired pleasure.
Signs of a drug addict
Symptoms of drug addiction that may appear on the addict are:
- Desire to take the drug daily or more than once a day
- Continuing to take the drug for too long
- Buy large quantities of real estate and carry it with him wherever he goes
- Mood changes such as irritability and anger
- Psychological symptoms such as depression and anxiety are observed in the addict
- Inability to sleep and excessive thinking (insomnia)
- Sudden behavioral change such as introversion and social isolation for a period of continuous days
- Lack of interest in oneself and outward appearance
- Urgent need for money to buy the drug
- Sudden weight loss or gain
- Eye redness and dilated or constricted pupils
- Dental and skin problems due to continuous use.
The most addictive drug
The necessary dose may be increased if the drugs are taken for a long time (the phenomenon of drug tolerance).
Some examples of benzodiazepam (lorazepam and diazepam).
Opioids pose a risk of addiction if they are used indiscriminately in high doses without consulting a doctor.
An opiate addict pretends to be doctor shopping, where the addict visits doctors over and over again and pretends to be in pain in an attempt to get opiates.
Some examples are opiates (morphine, codeine, tramadol).
Why are drugs used?
In fact, the first reason that prompts a person to start his story with drugs is “experience,” meaning that he wants to experience the drug, he wants to experience the temporary euphoria that these drugs give him, and soon after several “experiments” the person turns into a prisoner of this poison The crawl.
In many cases, an ill-advised prescription, especially one that contains opiates, can be the primary cause of addiction. When the doctor prescribes high doses of opiates to the patient for several reasons, the patient may develop a drug dependence phenomenon.
Drug addiction treatment in Turkey
In the event of stopping the use of a drug after addiction for a certain period, effects that may be dangerous on the patient appear. Therefore, a doctor should be consulted before starting to withdraw the substance. We mention the symptoms andEffects of sudden substance withdrawal :
- Irritability and extreme irritability
- Nausea, vomiting and excessive sweating
- Mood and appetite changes
- Insomnia and frequent shivering
- In severe cases, symptoms such as hallucinations and seizures may be seen epilepsy and delirium
Or it can be in the form of groups so that the patient is encouraged and motivated and has social relations with his peers and realizes that he is not alone in the battle to quit drugs. Psychotherapy sessions help by changing the patient’s view of the drug and by giving the patient a dose of attention and helping him to avoid returning to his addiction. The reasons that may be discussed are discussed It leads to a return to addiction (stimulants) for the patient to be avoided. If the patient feels the desire to use when hanging out with his addicted friends, the patient is advised to stay away from them.
The medications given vary according to the addictive substance. We review the most important medications:
lofexidineIt is one of the medicines used to reduce the patient's desire and help in quitting opiate abuse such as morphine.
acamprosateThis medicine is used to help with alcohol withdrawal, as it reduces the long-term symptoms of alcohol withdrawal such as anxiety and insomnia, and improves the mood of the patient in the recovery stage.
deep brain stimulation
There are specialized centers in this field that help the patient who quit drugs by not returning to use again, and secure the environment surrounding the patient and provide the necessary medical and psychological assistance.
Addiction treatment centers in Turkey
Turkey is famous for having specialized centers for the treatment of drug addiction, where the appropriate environment is provided for patients to recover and rehabilitate within the communities, and conducting individual or group psychological sessions that help treat the causes of drug addiction in patients, help them get rid of addiction and provide them with the necessary support.
Turkish drug treatment clinics are distinguished by providing the latest treatment methods and a team of doctors with experience in treating addicts and helping them in their recovery journey.
Drug addiction complications
- Involvement in extralegal activities such as violence and often theft
- The spread of infection among addicts due to the use of contaminated syringes, the addict can become infected with AIDS or hepatitis
- The addict turned into a homeless person as a result of selling all his possessions to obtain drugs
- Doing reckless activities such as driving a car while high after taking drugs
- Self-harm or suicidal thoughts may eventually lead to suicide
- Family problems, problems within the workplace, and a problem communicating with people.
Risk factors that increase the risk of addiction
According to studies, there are a number of factors that may increase the risk of infection in the public, including:
Having a previous family injury
Patients resort to narcotics as a way to relieve their reality, but the situation soon gets worse.
Weak parental control
Prevention of drug addiction
The best way to treatment is prevention, and prevention is done by staying away as much as possible from these substances and their abuse and from the promoters of these substances.
Avoid taking high doses of medication without consulting your doctor, especially pain relievers such as morphine or combinations that may cause addiction.
Statistics about drug addiction
some Statistical studies conducted in the USA:
- About 20 million adults suffered from a substance use disorder in 2017
- 74% of people with drug use abuse also had alcohol dependence
- 1 in 8 people suffers from drug or alcohol addiction or both
- In 2017, 8.5 million Americans suffered from mental illness in addition to drug addiction and abuse
- The costs of drug abuse and addiction in America total more than $740 billion annually and include drug costs, health care and the cost of addiction-related crime
We refer to some figures for this study published by the United Nations Office in 2015:
- 12 million people use intravenous (intravenous) drugs
- 1.6 million injecting drug users have been infected with HIV
- 6.1 million people who inject drugs have hepatitis C
- 1.3 million drug users have both HIV and hepatitis
- For injecting drug users, deaths from hepatitis outnumber those from HIV
Frequently asked questions about drug addiction treatment
How is drug addiction treated in Turkey?
Drug addiction is treated in Turkey within special addiction treatment centers that provide the necessary environment to quit addiction, in addition to the presence of experienced psychiatrists in dealing with patients