Dental implants using the all-on-6 technique is one of the latest treatment techniques in Turkey and the best if you suffer from significant or total tooth loss. Follow us to learn more about this technique.
Dentistry today relies on keeping up with the latest technologies to treat tooth loss and to provide the patient with a solution that restores his smile and the appearance of natural teeth, whether it is a single tooth loss that is replaced by a single implant, or multiple teeth that several implants can replace. All on 6 is one of the best treatment techniques to replace damaged or missing teeth.
You must have some questions about this process. Is it painful? How long does it take for dental implants? Are there risks to this technology? We will answer all of these questions on the Bimaristan medical site in Türkiye.
What are all-on-6 dental implants?
All-on-6 dental implants are one of the dental implant techniques that includes compensation for all missing teeth using only 6 dental implants to restore the cosmetic shape and functional state of the jaws through several stages.
Implants have generally proven successful in supporting traditional prosthodontics, such as the removable complete denture, and turning it into a treatment option suitable for most cases. They have achieved high success rates in Turkey.
First, the doctor examines the condition of the mouth and teeth, then x-rays are taken through which the state of the jawbones and the dimensions necessary to place the dental implants in the correct place and angle is evaluated. This stage is one of the essential treatment steps, after which the dental implants are done in two phases:
- Placement of dental implants
- Placing the artificial teeth over the implants and securing them with a small screw placed inside the dental implants
And suppose the patient wishes not to remain without teeth until the permanent prosthesis over the implants is completed. This technology enables us to place a temporary prosthesis on the same day as the surgery. The patient can then leave the center without worrying about the appearance.
It is worth noting that dental implants can be done with local anesthesia, like any dental procedure, or if you are a patient who is very afraid of operations, it can be done under general anesthesia.
Advantages of all-on-6 dental implants
When talking about this technique, we must mention the essential features that make it a suitable treatment option for most cases of a total loss of teeth, as they are:
- It provides the patient with restoring the cosmetic appearance by placing teeth similar to the natural ones, which restores the patient's self-confidence and smile.
- Restore the ability to chew foods normally.
- It is not necessary to use removable complete dentures (which are traditional prostheses that cause inconvenience to some patients); Where a bridge is used that is fixed to the implants using tiny screws, and this gives preference to the supporting tissues that were subjected to stress by the removable denture based on them previously.
- They can be used in cases where the jaw size is small or have low bone density, and therefore we do not need to use bone grafts often.
- The recovery time is short, so the patient does not need to remain without teeth for a long time, as teeth or prostheses can be installed after a short work period, or we use a temporary prosthesis on the same day as the implant.
The difference between all-on-6 and all-on-4 technique
The most significant difference between the all-on-4 and all-on-six techniques is the number of dental implants, as it is clear. Still, this difference has an important impact on the replacement, as the presence of two additional implants means a better distribution of chewing forces and the forces applied to the replacement teeth. Better support for it, and thus better stability, but Additional implants also mean an additional cost.
Instructions after dental implants in Türkiye
The success of the surgical procedure needs to adhere to some instructions that the doctor gives to the patient, which help speed recovery and the success of the operation, and among these instructions are the following:
- Feeling pain is expected after the anesthesia wears off, so only painkillers prescribed by a doctor should be taken.
- The use of ice must be placed in the operation area within the first 24 hours in case of any swelling in the implantation area.
- If the doctor prescribes antibiotics, they must be adhered to in order to avoid infection or sepsis.
- Refrain from touching the area of the implants with the tongue or finger.
- Avoid hot drinks on the first day after the operation and eat soft foods until the transplantation site has healed.
- Avoid intense physical activities such as strenuous sports to avoid bleeding.
- Using antiseptic mouthwashes and brushing teeth 24 hours after the operation.
Disadvantages of dental implants with all-on-6 technique
Despite the success of this technique and its importance in the field of dentistry and modern treatments, it is not without some defects, including:
- Nerve damage: In some cases, the implants may be too close to the inferior alveolar nerve, which leads to hurt, and this manifests as numbness of the tongue, face, and gums. The solution to this problem is to remove the implants or raise them slightly.
- Sliding implants or perforation of the maxillary sinus: This is one of the complications of the upper jaw when the maxillary implants are too close to the maxillary sinus, which may cause perforation of the sinus and the entry of part of the implant into the sinus, causing pain to the patient and the implant may fail.
- The occurrence of loosening of the implants: because the jawbone is insufficient to hold the dental implant due to the lack of bone density or bone resorption.
- Sepsis: is the infection in the implant area, which may cause pain or even fever.
- Allergy: Allergy to the titanium material from which the implant is made may occur, but this rarely happens.
My experience with all-on-6 dental implants in Türkiye
A patient spoke after the periodic review of the all-on-6 implant, and his experience was as he said:
I have suffered for a long time from losing teeth, and I have also tried solutions such as a complete removable denture, but I have had some problems such as prostheses moving at times and feeling nauseous,
So I searched more about treatment in Turkey and then read about dental implants, especially dental implants with the all-on-6 technique. When I started the treatment, I took X-rays, and we started working. I still remember how things were very simple as the doctor anesthetized me and then started placing the implants, and it didn't take much longer. An hour and a half until we were done.
After the operation, I felt some pain, but the doctor told me it was normal and prescribed some painkillers. I went back after two weeks to check the health of my gums and implants, and until today I am delighted with the operation.
My chewing has improved a lot, and I no longer suffer from the problem of dental prostheses and their exit from the mouth sometimes. Doctors have set me a Fixed prosthodontic instead, I advise those suffering from significant or total loss of teeth to resort to dental implants in Turkey.
Contraindications for dental implants with all-on-6 technique
Despite the great benefit of all-on-6 dental implants, some contraindications make them an obstacle to implantation. They can be classified into:
The presence of some diseases may cause the patient an obstacle to dental implants in general, such as:
- Uncontrolled diabetic patient
- Liver diseases such as fibrosis
- Radiation patient
- autoimmune deficiency patient
- Patients who are unable to take care of their oral health due to a particular condition
Relative health contraindications
It means that implantation is impossible except after removing a factor that prevents the operation, and by removing it, implantation becomes possible. Among these barriers are:
Contraindications related to the age of the patient
It is always necessary to look at the patient’s age before performing some procedures, including dental implants, as patients under the age of 18 cannot perform implants for them due to the exposure of the jaw bones to change with growth, so it is usually advised to put a spacer until the patient reaches the required age.
Dental implant alternatives with an all-on-6 technique
After mentioning the contraindications of implants in general, here are some alternatives that can be used instead of dental implants
- Multiple implants, Where each tooth replaces the patient's teeth with a single implant and fixed dental prostheses such as single crowns or bridges are placed over it.
- traditional Removabledentures).
- Removable complete dentures over the remains of the roots, or as they are called, over-the-top prostheses.
In conclusion, dental implants with the all-on-6 technique and their installation in Turkey provide everything a patient who has lost most or all of his teeth needs. In any case, the best treatment is chosen in the Bimaristan Center, in consultation with doctors specializing in dental implants in Turkey.