Thyroidectomy is the total or partial removal of the thyroid gland from the patient's neck, many thyroid operations have been successfully performed in Turkey by the most skilled doctors
Introduction to thyroidectomy
The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped, non-renewable endocrine gland located in the front of the neck that produces and secretes hormones that control many basic functions throughout the human body, such as controlling the heart rate and burning fat.
The amount of removal during the operation depends on the reason for the procedure, as the gland may maintain its normal function in Partial resection While you will need daily replacement therapy with thyroid hormones to restore gland function in total excision.
Thyroidectomy is a simple surgery performed through a small horizontal incision in the front of the neck, and it was possible to perform it in Turkey through an incision not exceeding 3-4 cm through minimally invasive techniques that include endoscopic thyroidectomy andThyroidectomy by robot.
Reasons for performing thyroidectomy in Turkey
Your doctor may suggest a thyroidectomy in Turkey if you have one of the following conditions:
- thyroid cancer: The most common reason for thyroid operations is to remove the gland with tumor cells as the primary treatment for thyroid cancer.
- hyperthyroidism: A condition of excess thyroid hormones in the blood due to Graves' disease, a nodule, a benign tumor in the gland, or other causes that are accompanied by a permanent increase in the amount of thyroid hormone. Removing part of the gland reduces the excessive activity of the gland.
- Large goiter (goiter): A swollen thyroid gland may make it difficult for you to breathe or swallow food normally.
- Multi-node item: Which leads to excessive secretion of thyroid hormones in addition to problems related to its large size and the possibility of turning into cancer.
It has proven Scientific study Complete removal of the thyroid gland is considered a safe procedure to treat previous conditions.
How to perform a thyroidectomy in Turkey
Thyroidectomy is often performed under general anesthesia and the patient is prepared in a lying or half-sitting position with his chin raised upwards. The patient will be asleep and will not feel anything during the operation.
After the anesthesia, a small transverse incision is made in the place of the skin crease at the base of the neck in order to hide the surgical scar after the operation as much as possible.
The surgeon will then remove one or both lobes, depending on the patient's situation and the reason for the operation.
in case thyroid cancer Surgeons will examine and remove the cancerous lymph nodes around the gland.
Finally, the incision is closed through the surgical suture. Thyroidectomy surgery in Turkey usually takes one to two hours, but it may take less than that or more depending on the size of the thyroid tissue to be removed.
thyroid gland process Video To explain in some detail how the process is carried out.
Available methods for thyroidectomy in Turkey
- Traditional thyroidectomy: The gland is accessed directly from the neck, and is suitable for most people.
- Oral thyroidectomy (without scar): A modern method that does not require a surgical incision in the neck, but access to the gland through a wound inside the patient's mouth.
- Laparoscopic thyroidectomy: The minimally invasive technique is performed using special surgical tools and an endoscope that guides the surgeon through the procedure.
- Thyroidectomy by robot: It is the best way to remove the gland without traces through the robotic arms controlled by the surgeon remotely.
Complications of thyroidectomy
Thyroidectomy in Turkey is a safe procedure that does not pose a risk to patients' lives like other major surgeries, but it may lead to complications or symptoms after the thyroid operation.
Of the rare risks of thyroidectomy:
- Bleeding and blood clot formation
- Sepsis or sore throat
- Airway obstruction due to hemorrhage
- Injury to the airway during surgery
- Voice changes or hoarseness that may be due to damage to the laryngeal nerve
- hyperthyroidism As a result of a sharp rise in thyroxine levels during or shortly after the operation
- Damage to the parathyroid glands and low levels of the hormone parathyroid hormone (which controls blood calcium levels)
Life after thyroidectomy in Turkey
In some cases, the patient returns home the same day after a total or partial thyroidectomy in Turkey, but in other cases he has to spend a night in the hospital where the medical team monitors him and monitors the calcium levels in his blood.
The patient may feel some pain during the days following the operation, any oral pain reliever can be used when needed, and the patient will be able to eat whatever food he wants on the day after the operation usually.
After surgically removing the entire thyroid gland, the body will need thyroid hormone to carry out its vital functions naturally. This hormone can be obtained through medications containing synthetic thyroid hormones (levothyroxine) or natural ones that are available in the form of pharmaceutical tablets.
When only one of the two lobes is removed, the other lobe will take over the task of producing hormones and may not need replacement therapy. Therefore, the thyroid gland must be analyzed after its partial excision.
It may take about a year for the scar to disappear, and the doctor may prescribe some creams to reduce the appearance of the scar during that period.
Tips after thyroidectomy
Here are the most important tips and instructions after thyroidectomy:
- When you return home, you will be able to carry out your normal daily activities straight away, but it is preferable that you do not engage in strenuous activities such as heavy lifting until a few weeks after the surgery.
- Avoid wiping the area of the operation or washing it with water for at least a week, so that it does not become contaminated and infected.
- Contact your doctor immediately if you notice swelling in your neck and the pain persists for a long time after surgery, as these may be signs of an infection at the site of surgery.
- Make a regular visit to the doctor's office several times after the operation to have your thyroid hormone levels analyzed and to ensure that your recovery is progressing.
Why should I choose treatment in Turkey?Recently, Turkey has become one of the leading countries in the field of medical tourism in the world.
The reason for this is due to the presence of advanced medical centers that provide appropriate treatment by the most skilled doctors and the latest medical devices at a low cost.
Regarding what has been said, the medical center of Bimaristan Medical Center is your first choice the best treatment in Turkey.
We guide you to the best expert specialists in all fields.
We facilitate the language of communication between you and everyone through specialized Arab doctors who will help you communicate with your doctor.
We help you secure the right treatment and high-end service in the most modern hospitals and medical centers in Turkey.
We provide our services extensively and precisely.
We will be with you step by step towards recovery.
Free consultations around the clock.
don't hesitate tocontact us,Bimaristan center is your family in Turkey.